Thursday 16 April 2015

Hyundai Elite i20 - Driver Swap


My colleague Devesh Shobha is an emotional man. I have noticed this trait of his on a number of occasions, and, by now, I am sort of used to it. But, even I was unprepared for the emo assault I was subjected to when I asked him for the keys of the Hyundai Elite i20. It almost felt like I had asked him for his very own car.

Of course, he wouldn't admit it. But I think he almost cried. However, I am not the sort who lets friendship get in the way of a long-term car. So I managed to get the keys and left Devesh to sulk in peace. 



Now, we all know that Hyundai's Fluidic design theme has been kicking some major butt in the industry. This can be seen in its latest evolution: Fluidic 2.0. This is a car that looks cool anywhere in the world. Now, while I love the styling, but I'm not too sure about the colors the car is being offered in.  I think it would do with some bright colors such as yellow, red and blue that would do justice to the car's cool looks.

The Elite i20 is not only sporty to look at; it is pretty engaging to drive as well. The diesel motor is punchy and power kicks in at low revs. Plus, it's fuel efficient as well. In the city, the Elite i20 has managed to deliver about 12kpl consistently, and I think that is a figure most owners would be happy with. 

I prefer keeping the engine on the boil, because that's a fool-proof way of getting the maximum out of the engine, and you'll usually find me driving this way on my daily commute. (That's right. The guy with the cool glares on the new Freeway in Mumbai? The guy  blitzing through traffic in his Elite i20? That's me.

The car feels comfortable doing triple digit speeds, and though the steering feels slightly vague most of the time, it does its job well. Of course, a light steering has its advantages: maneuvering through city traffic is a breeze, for instance. Hyundai has managed to do a decent job of delivering a respectably pliant ride, though I have friends who find it a little too firm at times.

Overall, the Hyundai Elite i20 is a well-rounded package and while it might not be the sportiest hatch on the block, it has managed to keep a driving enthusiast like me happy. But, sure, there are times when I yearn for a brighter color to adorn it. Right now, I'm thinking mauve, or turquoise. Maybe, it's just me or, perhaps, I'm, sort of, experiencing a midlife crisis.
 Published by   : Top Gear
Words  by  : Abhinav Mishra

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with all of you guys about the exceptional performance of the car and its added features. The spacious cabin space, the plush and beautiful upholstery of the dashboard accentuated with the comfortable seats of the car make it a perfect companion for long drives. and thanks for this info.

    Hyundai Elite i20

    ReplyDelete